At least 3 nights a week I am trying out a new dinner recipe. Some are my own concoctions, but most are from other food blogs and websites. Before each new cooking adventure, I imagine how perfect this new meal will be… delicious and filling and oh-so-good! But in reality, many are not all that exciting. About 2 weeks ago, I had some pretty bad luck with new recipes, not once, not twice, but three nights in a row! We were having a bowl of cereal instead of seconds and turning to a nice bowl of ice cream before we started to feel full.
Fresh off of that less than exciting week of food, I was skeptical about trying this recipe. Mostly because I have not had great experiences with cabbage. However, the lure of a quick and easy meal won me over and Kalyn’s Kitchen has so many delicious recipes! So I gave it a try…
I ended up changing quite a few things because I didn’t have all of her ingredients on hand, but the result was surprisingly good! While I can’t promise that there won’t be duds on our dinner table from time to time, I can promise that I will be making this again, because it was unique, delicious, and soo simple!!
For Beef Roast:
- 2 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning or 1 packet store-bought taco seasoning
- 1 – 14. oz can diced tomatoes with green chile
For Cabbage Coleslaw:
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 pineapple, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 mini pepper, diced very small
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1) Trim beef by cutting off large chunks of visible fat. Rub taco seasoning on both sides of beef – I had 4 chunks of beef after the fat was trimmed off. In a hot pan, sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until the outside begins to brown.
2) Place seared beef in a slow cooker with tomatoes and cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW or until the beef begins to shred apart.
3) When the beef is done cooking, use a slotted spoon to remove from the slow cooker. Use forks to shred apart. Set the temperature to warm, and mix the beef back into the slow cooker with the tomatoes.
3) For the coleslaw, combine green cabbage, red cabbage, olive oil, lime juice, honey, sriracha sauce, salt, and pepper.
4) For the pineapple salsa, combine pineapple, pepper, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Serve over a bed of rice or quinoa.
That’s it!! Soooo easy!! I put the beef in the slow cooker at 1:30, made the coleslaw and salsa at 1:35, and left for work at 1:45. When I got home from work at 6, I threw some rice on the stove and shredded the beef. By 6:30, we were ready to eat, and clean up was sooo quick afterwards! This was a perfect weeknight meal.
Time: 25 minutes active / 3 – 8 hours inactive